Sunday, August 1, 2021

Pork: California Vs Iowa -- August 1, 2021

 

Oh - and California won't approve new gas hookups, so new (or new component) commercial restaurants will have to cook on electric - anathema to a pro chef.

This is going to be a bunny divot - I don't have the info for a whole hole.

First - my Daddy was simply the most logical, insightful man I've ever met.  Period.  Many years ago he noted that the beef industry was the largest industry that wasn't federally controlled.  Grain and dairy farmers have price supports, quotas, and were subsequently paid to take land out of production.  

I know next to nothing about pork producers, but it takes 6 months from cradle to grave for a butcher pig.  It takes nearly 3 times that amount of time for a steer that's grain fed.... and another 6 months if you want to finish a steer on grass.  So, even if there aren't quotas on pork production, it'd be easier to influence that market.  It has a far quicker turnaround - and since pigs aren't turned out to graze, their whole lives are a function of feed consumption.  That feed is largely regulated by the Feds, since they've got the grain industry locked tight - and have for the last 70 years or longer.

Anyway - meat prices have risen markedly in the supermarket, but the farmer/rancher is not getting any of that.  Prices on the hoof are down.

Consumer outcry is always an opportunity for the Feds to "help"...

The number of packing plants is decreasing - and the Feds love to target (extort) big business.

Here's a couple stories on packers:


(Remember the big SD pork plant that was shut down because of workers having Covid?  Well, tested positive for it anyway.  I laughed because we all know how China has put melamine in baby food, pet food, etc... like China is going to be a industry leader in food safety - ha!)

From this article, the Chinese paid 30% over book price and now control 25% of the US pork market:


So, that's just a taste (pardon the pun) of some big-picture stuff on pork.  As far as bacon, far more yuppies eat bacon more frequently than they'd eat a pork chop, pork roast or slice of ham.  Bacon has achieved a cult following.

.......................

80 % of US beef is packed by one of only 4 companies.  The world's largest beef packer is JBS - headquarted in Brazil.  There have been numerous failed attempts to impose COOL (country of origin labeling), so that we could see if a steak was a Patriot.  (;>)  

We'll talk about imported "trim" later (remember the expose' on "slime" being added to our hamburgers?)

........................

Anyway\, I won't derail the pork thread with beef - but it always comes down to "follow the money".  Of course, the Californians will pay a big premium for cleaner gas, they're a big market and largely yuppie irrationals.... but the Dems need that Iowa caucus vote.  It'll be interesting.

I had 1 1/2 slices of bacon for brunch.  Made French Toast from boughten raisin bread.  Divine!    I buy a pork roast about once a year.  I'll serve pork chops once or twice a year.  I never buy ham unless my sister is visiting.  I'll occasionally buy pork steaks on sale to chop into something Oriental.  Always have sausage on hand for biscuits and cream gravy.  I buy bacon 8 pounds at a time and freeze it.  I'll put 2 pounds of bacon on racks over large sheet pans.  2 big pans fit on my gas grill.  I turn the heat on low and start the bacon cooking, covered.  Then I'll do yard work and check on the bacon after an hour or so.  If it's a warm, still day, that's probably enough active cooking time.  I'll turn the grill off and leave the pans to swelter for another hour or so.  If it's a cooler day, or breezy, I'll leave the gas on longer.  My goal is to get the bacon about 80% done.  It cooks flat - I don't have to turn it.  I put 1 # of that parcooked bacon in each of 4 zip lock bags.  I freeze 3 and keep one in the coldest part of my fridge  (This assumes no company breakfasts in the offing - obviously, if people are coming I'll leave plenty unfrozen)

Then, it's the simplest thing in the world to finish the bacon when you want it.  A note of caution:  there's still moisture in the drippings.  They'll go rancid.  So, if you want the drippings, cook the drippings long enough to eliminate any moisture.

Best bacon I've found is Wright's thick-sliced applewood smoked.  I get it at Sam's Club, but I think it's available other places.


No comments:

Post a Comment