Sunday, July 25, 2021

Recipe: Rice -- July 25, 2021

 How to cook rice in Turkey: link here.

 Recipe from a reader of the blog:

A long-time friend, native New Mexican, taught me her cooking method.  It resembles what you saw him do.

Serves 4 as a side dish

Heavy saucepan with a tight lid

Medium heat

Melt butter with oil.  Total ~ 2 tablespoons  (I'm lavish with the butter)

Pour 1 1/2 Cups of rice into pan.  Stir it until its the color of my hair (:>)... dishwater blonde.

Remove the pan from the burner, dump in 3 cups of water and 2 teaspoons of Knoor's chicken boullion powder.  Stir and cover immediately.

Place back on low heat and steam for 18 minutes.  No peeking.

.........

That's for long grain white rice.  Any other rice will use less water.  If you aren't looking for a savory rice, then use salt instead of the Knoor's.  And, you'll use less salt... maybe 1 teaspoon.

This is what works in an arid climate at 1 mile elevation.  If you're faced with watery rice after cooking, just stir it and let it set.  If it's too dry, add a little more water next time.  A lot depends on the variety of rice and how old it is.  I tend to like my rice a little more dense - other folks prefer fluffy.

.........

Parching the rice seems to make a big difference.  It looks like he gets less color on his - and you can experiement.

.........

I use the Knorr's boullion powder in lots of other dishes.  It lasts forever.  So, when I make red chile for enchiladas, it's Knorr's instead of salt.  If I'm cooking frozen vegetables, ditto.  
.........

My Iranian friend taught me how to make saffron rice.  It has a glorious golden crust and you can unmold the whole kettle.  It's delicious and a show stopper.  You need a specific type of rice cooker for it.  The crust is called tadig.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment