Monday, August 6, 2018

Handbags, Shoes, And Saddle Soap -- August 6, 2018

A reply to this post elsewhere in which I said:
Sexist: if I had one piece of advice for working women -- carry two purses. Women seem to all carry a purse that appears to be about a cubic yard in volume -- makes them look like bag-ladies or homeless or insecure. Leave the cubic-yard purse in the car, at home, or in the workplace, and simply carry a clutch purse into Starbucks when picking up a cup of coffee. Something tells me Ivanka wouldn't show up to a meeting with a cubic-yard purse slung over her shoulder. [The secret service agent would be holding it. LOL.] On the other hand, a small brown, genuine leather, Gucci-quality- back-pack is incredibly sexy on a millenial -- but only on a contemporary millenial.
From a reader:
Re: your handbag theory:

You offered sage advice.

Some author made the comparison to mother ship and dinghy.  He hated being out on a date and she'd leave the mother ship at the table with him and take the dinghy to the restroom with her.  (;>)

Years ago at the beginning of my career, I would typically be the only female in a conference room full of men.  I had a penchant for navy suits and carried a navy version of this handbag:

Inline image
It's only about 6 by 8 inches and tucked tidily into my briefcase.  I'd pull it out if when went to dinner - our briefcases were locked in whatever conference room along with scads of documents.  At first I spent many anxious hours because I had to carry the heavy metal bank seal with me to emboss documents, and hated to leave it behind.  I got over that.

Along with advice "nothing but the smallest leather clutch which should never be left on a desk or conference table", I had read that men polish their shoes 138 times more frequently than women.  So, I made sure to always keep my shoes polished  and in good repair - no problem for a ranch-raised girl who knew her way around saddle soap.

No comments:

Post a Comment