Sunday, August 29, 2021

Lobster Bisque -- August 29, 2021

This is how it began, from a reader, link here.

I replied with this.



Reader's reply:

Oh, I've heard of that - lovely photo.  Thanks!

When I see fennel, tarragon, orange peel, etc. it makes me cringe.  If I had a cup, it might be better than what it sounds, but it seems those flavors would overpower the lobster.  I guess I could make the base by itself and see how it tasted before I added the lobster.  (;>)  As a matter of fact, I'll try it this winter.  You just never know.  I may just leave the tarragon alongside the kettle.  (Kind of like the martini makers who whisper the word "Vermouth")

Years ago I knew a doctor whose idea of a martini involved swirling a drop of vermouth in a glass and then dumping out the vermouth.  I found an old glass syringe at an antique store.  The plunger was wrapped with string to keep a tight seal.  He loved to use that syringe.  I don't think he ever finished a bottle of vermouth, but we sure went thru the gin - ha!

Definitely all in for using the shells for the seafood stock.  A good stock from bones, trimmings, etc. makes all the difference in the final flavor.

Here's closer to what I do.  This is Paula Deen's recipe for She-Crab soup.  I've made it with shrimp, crab or lobster.  I normally use less than half as much garlic, and take it easy on the other spices.  When I ate she-crab soup in Charleston, it was accompanied by a fine little crystal glass of sherry.  (slightly smaller than a shot glass, and not plumb full).  You added the splash of sherry yourself.  Divine!

Although it's not traditional, I like to add finely diced potatoes (peeled, of course) that have been steamed.

Ingredients
  1. ½ cup unsalted butter
  2. ¼ cup minced sweet onion
  3. 2 cloves garlic, minced
  4. ½ cup all-purpose flour
  5. 3 cups seafood stock
  6. 2 cups heavy whipping cream
  7. 1 pound blue crab meat or jumbo lump crabmeat, picked free of shells and divided
  8. 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
  9. 1 teaspoon ground mace
  10. 1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
  11. 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
  12. ¼ cup sherry
  13. 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Instructions
  1. In a large Dutch oven, melt butter over medium-high heat; add onion and garlic, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until tender. Whisk in flour, and cook for 1 minute. Whisk in stock, and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium, and cook, whisking occasionally, until thickened. Stir in cream, half of crab, 1 teaspoon salt, and next 3 ingredients; cook until heated through.
  2. In a medium bowl, gently stir together sherry, parsley, remaining crab, and remaining 1 teaspoon salt. Ladle soup into serving bowls, and top with crab mixture.

No comments:

Post a Comment