Tuesday, April 9, 2019

The Streets Of Dakota -- April 9, 2019 -- Ode To Gilbert's Cafe, Killdeer, ND

*******************************
The Streets Of Laredo

A reader's request ...

 
The Streets of Laredo, Marty Robbins


From a reader:
To the tune of "Streets of Laredo"

Ode to Gilbert's Cafe
Killdeer, North Dakota

As I walked down the mean streets of Dakota
The cafe' was closed, and no one in town.

But donuts and coffee would save us at sunup
The farmers and merchants would gather around

A hot cup of coffee, with all the day's gossip
And, "What price for steers, sold by the pound ?"

No squinty Clint Eastwood, no "Good, Bad and Ugly"
Our heroes in ballcaps enduring abound.

The banker, the grocer, the feed store, grain merchant
Shake dice for the price with nary a frown

A morning day ritual, more coffee, you betcha
I'm out of the rhyme, I need a new noun

But surely as sunup, as plain as a donut
I remember those mornings in my little town.

Callous it wasn't, I've never felt safer
And right after dinner they shut the town down.

No comments:

Post a Comment